Today I am sharing the intro to the Big Data Extension in VMware vSphere Environment. Before Deployment I would need your couple of minute to detail you about Big Data Extension (BDE).
What is VMware vSphere Big Data Extensions
VMware vSphere Big Data Extensions (BDE) simplifies running Big Data workloads on the vSphere platform to deliver a new level of efficiency and agility. VMware introduced Big Data Extensions, or BDE, as a commercially supported version of Project Serengeti designed for enterprises seeking VMware support. BDE enables customers to run clustered, scale-out Hadoop applications on the vSphere platform, delivering all the benefits of virtualization to Hadoop users. BDE delivers operational simplicity with an easy-to-use interface, improved utilization through compute elasticity, and a scalable and flexible Big Data platform to satisfy changing business requirements. VMware has built BDE to support all major Hadoop distributions and associated Apache Hadoop projects such as Pig, Hive, and HBase.
Why Big Data Extension
Daily growth in traditional datacenter is exploding. Traditional Enterprise datacenter in Big Data on physical architecture is no longer keep up on the todays pace up needs.
Enterprises are looking for new ways to process analyze and store big data. todays fast moving business needs system to allow us for instantaneous use of big data, so VMware introduces the VMware Big Data Extension is the way out to deploy and manage the Big Data cluster in a shorter time. Enterprise can easily Scale up or Scale down there business need via using the VMware Big Data Extension.
How it works
BDE is a downloadable virtual appliance integrated as a plugin to vCenter server. BDE requires a vSphere 5.0 or later license and an Enterprise or Enterprise Plus license. The Serengeti virtual appliance runs on top of vSphere and includes two virtual machines: Serengeti Management Server and the Hadoop Template Server. The Serengeti Management Server handles creation of the cluster, including creation and configuration of the virtual machines and assignment of Master node and Slave node roles. Once the cluster is created, the Serengeti Management Server then clones the Hadoop template to create and scale out the cluster. Once this is complete, the Serengeti Management Server starts Hadoop. BDE is managed and controlled through vCenter server.
vCenter integration to rapidly deploy Hadoop clusters
• Deploy clusters with HDFS, MapReduce, HBase, Pig, and Hive Server with flexible cluster design
• Automate the deployment and scaling of Hadoop clusters
• Enable self-service provision of Hadoop clusters in the private cloud with vCloud Automation Center
• Remove dependency and potential bottleneck associated with IT infrastructure management
Management Tool Integration
• Use BDE to manage infrastructure and leverage Hadoop distributor management tools to perform Hadoop installation and subsequent monitoring
• Integration with Cloudera Manager and Hortonworks Ambari
Elastic Scaling and True Multi-tenancy
• Elastically scale compute and data separately
• Preserve data locality to improve performance
• Gain platform flexibility with support from major Hadoop distributions • Select from hybrid, local storage, and shared storage options
So these are some feature which can offer all the customer needs inside there Datacenter without worrying about Scalability, Availability, Accessibility and Agility.
In my Next post i will share the deployment and Configuration process for the Vmware BIG Data Extension.
Hope you Enjoyed reading this.